Cookery Corner: Plantain PieDOD Media
Wow! Another weekend is here already and we are also ready to get on with some cooking on our Cookery Corner.
We have brought recipe on how you can make a healthy snack for the weekend. The benefits of plantain can never be over emphasized (you can google it), so write down the recipe and try making this yummy snack this weekend. Enjoy!
Plantain Pie Ingredients
For the plantain dough
- 1 over ripe plantain
- 300g plain flour
- 125g butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200g yam or any filling of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion
- A small piece of red pepper
Before you prepare Plantain Pie
- Peel and cook the yam till well done then set aside to cool down completely.
- Cut the onions and red pepper into small pieces.
- When the yam has cooled down, cut into small cubes.
How to mix the dough
- Peel the over ripe plantain and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Sift half of the flour, the salt and the baking powder into a clean dry bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Add them to the flour and mix till the butter is incorporated into the flour.
- Add the mashed plantain. Mix with a spatula till as smooth as possible. You will notice that it is quite sticky.
- Start adding the second half of the flour in small quantities, mix with the plantain and flour dough, add more, mix … till you get a non-sticky but soft ball of dough. If you do not achieve this with the quantity of flour I stated, add more flour till you get that. Ideally the quantity of flour you’ll need depends on how overripe your plantain is.
- When you are happy, cover the ball of dough with aluminium foil and leave to rest for about 10 minutes.
How to mix the filling
- Break the eggs and beat very well.
- Add salt and stir.
- Add the pieces of boiled yam, red pepper and onions. Stir very well and set aside.
Roll on the board, Cut with meat pie cutter or any cutter of your choice , fill and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or fry as you like.